Thursday 11 December 2008

Notes from my father

One of my father's lasting legacies on my life will probably be the music I was exposed to as a child. The Bangles and Micheal Jackson not withstanding, I've been trawling the internet to try and find some of the Indian tunes which I have in my head. This has proved to be a rather more challenging task than one might expect - many of the songs are in Hindi, which I don't understand. My attempts thus far have therefore been typing in possible transliterations of some misremembered Hindi words in the hope that they will be close enough to someone else's transliterationto identify the song. Here are some I've found so far:

The second song is song by a legend of South Indian classical music, Yesudas. He has a purity of tone and technical ability comparable to Pavarotti (who is also mind-blowingly good, see here for proof, especially the sotto voce bit). It seems pretty hard to find some of Yesudas' earlier recordings of classical music on CD. Does anyone know of any?

No comments: