Monday 10 November 2008

Update

Well, I've missed some exciting stuff. I'm so glad to hear that Philonious has survived a tussle with a taxi. That's terrible. I'm settling into my new role at a fantastically progressive museum in Massillon, Ohio, normally known for football (and it's tiger). The museum changes exhibitions frequently, and has a small staff, so we're very flexible and involved. I just made a display about Native American culture in a few cases near my office. It's Thanksgiving at the end of the month, and I thought it would be appropriate, however, trying to talk about the holiday while combatting stereotypes about Native American culture and European settlement of the Americas... in a few paragraphs... in a conservative midwestern town... was a bit daunting. So I was a little bit academic and vague. I mean, it's a holiday that was basically invented by a president to help foster national identity. I'll choose my battles wisely. Here's a snippet

Giving a feast to celebrate or give thanks is popular in many cultures around the world, and in America Thanksgiving is a popular holiday for people to reunite with family and friends. There were many ‘thanksgiving’ feasts given in America, often in situations following conflict or poor harvests. To bring unity and stability to a divided nation during the Civil War, Abraham Lincoln proclaimed Thanksgiving a national holiday, and it has been celebrated widely since then.

No comments: