Monday 8 September 2008

Will the world end on Wednesday?

So... I'm sure you've all heard about CERN's new black hole machine (technical term) that could potentially end the world on Wednesday. Actually it's a Large Hadron Collider to you ley people.

One camp thinks we'll be fine, and even if they do make a black hole, it will be a baby one that won't hurt us. The other camp thinks the world will get eaten up and we'll all disappear. On Wednesday.

Makes me think of all the other prophecies and ideas that have predicted our doom- the Mayan Calendar, Nostradamus, even Mother Shipton (of Yorkshire fame).

I don't really feel worried. Maybe it's because I'm stressed about moving, and if the world ends, I can't do anything about it, AND I won't have to pack anymore- that's not all that bad.

Also, I know someone who just worked at CERN last week (shout out to Andrew, husband of Molly) so this makes me a lot less worried. Seems more like a 9-5 job then doomsday device.

Speaking of Doomsday, I watched it on Saturday (I'm a big Neil Marshall fan- The Descent was brilliant, and I'd be happy to tell you why). Some people (my husband) think its too mental but I really enjoyed it, and not just because I have a thing for women who kick ass. Thanks to a virus, Scotland is walled off again (a la Hadrian's Wall- how brilliant is that) and left to die. The virus resurfaces in London, about 25 years later, so they decide to go back into Scotland and find a cure in the survivors. The survivors are split between a tribal Mad Max culture (based in Glasgow, and strikingly similar to today's residents) and a 'civilised' medieval kingdom, taken up residence in an old castle, using the armour, ways of life, etc.

I think both completely plausible. I defy you to find a museum curator who doesn't secretly fantasize about using their museum collections to revert to a historic way of life. When the floods happened in Yorkshire last year one museum hauled out an antique fire truck to help pump the water.

So, in preparation for our impending doom, why not watch it on Wednesday?

No comments: