Wednesday 13 August 2008

Contraceptive pill 'can lead women to choose wrong partner'

Whoa. Yeah that's the headline in the Guardian. Say what??? I thought I smelled some conservative anti-feminist anti-sex thing going on. But actually the scientific study here references tests done that claim women are unable to 'smell' appropriate partners, who would be best suited to produce offspring, and be potential mates. What???

"Not only could MHC similarity in couples lead to fertility problems, it could also ultimately lead to the breakdown of relationships when women stop using the contraceptive pill, as odour perception plays a significant role in maintaining attraction to partners."
I realize that smell and hormones play a big instinctual part in creating these relationships, but I think that the tagline of this article and its message are anti-contraception. And I am not down with that. I'm apt to think that this study was supported by funds with interests in my aforementioned 'anti-' list.

No comments: